Celebrating Middleware Catering
Middleware Catering offer an extraordinary range and variety of produce. Breads, cakes and pastries, in a variety of flavours, types and variations, including gluten-free, sugar-free and vegan versions. Each baked to order for collection at our Assembly, on Monday evening.
Featured Producer of the Week
To celebrate Middleware’s contribution to Llanelli Food Assembly, I’ve selected 12 of her items in our Selection of the Week, including:
- Hot Cross Buns (Easter Monday is 2 April)
- Multi-seed wholemeal, Spelt, Sourdough, Focaccia breads
- Cake slices—each available as gluten-free variation
- Plus a Cheesecake, a Quiche and a Tartlet!
I’m sure something there has got your mouth watering, so head on over and browse the Weekly Selection and rest of the Click-&-Collect Market and I’ll look forward to seeing you next Monday, at the Selwyn Samuel Centre, 5pm to 6:15pm.
Middleware Catering has been supplying Llanelli Food Assembly since we opened last October. It is run by Baker, Pastry Chef and Caterer, Viv Simmons. Viv works from her premises in Rhydargaeau (16 miles north of Llanelli)—with a little help from family members, Eleanour, Phillipa, Hannah and Mike “the Type”!
Middleware bake an extraordinary range and variety of produce to order. This week, for example, 82 different baked breads, cakes and pastries are available. This includes a wide variety of flavours, types and variations, including gluten-free, sugar-free and vegan versions.
BREADS — 35 variations
- Loaves and Rolls: different flours, seedings, loaf shapes (plaited, baguettes)
- Speciality Breads including: focaccia, sourdough, ryebread and popular spelt.
- Gluten-free options—and even one or two dairy-free—on many breads.
CAKES — 31 variations
- Slices; Sponges; Brownies
- Welsh-cakes; Bara-brith
PASTRIES —16 variations
- Savoury tarts and tartlets
- Flavoured quiches
- Pizza pinwheel!
This ‘a la carte’ range of baked produce has evolved in response to the requests of Food Assembly members—Thank you, Viv and Middleware!
Llanelli Food Assembly
Fresh — Local — Welsh!
Shop Fairer! Eat Better! Feel Better!
What is Llanelli Food Assembly?
Llanelli Food Assembly is a Welsh Food Producers Market.
- Members order from a large range of locally produced food.
- Food is delivered fresh from Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Swansea farmers and food producers.
We are especially proud to supply organic vegetables, from Banc Organics. And award-winning meats, from Rhosyn. We also offer: a huge range of bread, cake and savouries, from Middleware Catering. Plus:
- free-range eggs, from Fforest Isaf;
- raw, unpasteurised and pasteurised milk, from Cwm Farm;
- a large range of sweet and savoury preserves, from Oscar’s Kitchen;
- probiotic foods and drinks, from Sauer Power and NaturAlly Fed;
- healthy confectionery and snacks from Mo’s Kitchen;
- activated organic nuts and seeds, from Om Creations;
- Welsh beer, cider and spirits from Alfie’s Beer Bus
- and more — See the whole produce range.
How do Food Assemblies work?
The Food Assembly Online Market works on a Click-&-Collect basis. Ordering takes place through our Online Click-&-Collect Market. This is an easy-to-use online shop. There is also a smartphone app.
Our shop lists available produce, which Members can order. Producers receive the orders via the Internet. Then, once-a-week they deliver the orders. Their produce is delivered to a local venue in the heart of Llanelli. Members arrive to collect their produce and chat to producers. Find out more
What’s special about Food Assembly?
We connect local food producers with local people at a local venue. Members browse a range of locally-produced Welsh food. They learn about the people producing their food. Most of our producers are family farms or businesses.
At the Assembly, members meet the food producers. Producers are paid after the orders are collected. As all producers and the Assembly host are local, 90% of what you spend remains in the local economy. (This compares to supermarkets, where 25-30% typically remains local).
Can anyone join in?
Browsing and ordering requires a Food Assembly account. This is a simple signing-up process. It’s free and without obligation to order anything. A smartphone app allows you to do everything from your mobile!
Participation as a food producer requires a process of registration and vetting by Food Assembly. We ensure producers adhere to standards. And that they are local the Assembly. (Maximum distance 150 miles. Our average is about 12 miles!).
How did it start?
Food Assembly is a Europe-wide initiative. It started in France and now exists in many European countries. We believe Food Assembly provides an important alternative to mainstream food shopping. It it helping local food producers succeed. It is providing a more sustainable form of food shopping. We believe it provides a way to: Shop Fairer and to Eat Better. And, when you do those two things, to Feel Better!